No other education system has produced so many eminent world leaders, scientists, academics, artists and celebrated business minds.
These schools also have incredible success rates preparing children for the world’s top universities in Britain, the USA and around the world. Indeed the benefits of a British boarding school education are unparalleled.
We understand that choosing a school is one of the biggest emotional and financial choices a family will make. The British Boarding Schools Show enables parents to speak individually to schools and get your questions answered.
On arrival, every visitor will receive a comprehensive show guide with information on all exhibiting schools, maps and some helpful questions to ask if help is needed. Refreshments are also available at the show.
In addition to meeting leading schools, you can attend our comprehensive seminar programme which runs throughout the show. During these sessions, experts consider some of the key questions that parents may wish to consider when thinking about British boarding options, giving you every opportunity to gain insight and gather information.
The videos on this page will help you prepare for the show and below are some questions to consider when meeting schools.
Focus your School Search with Bonas MacFarlane's Questions
Bonas MacFarlane is Britain's leading education advisory service. Over the years they have built up a list of the basic questions that parents ask schools. It’s now quite a long list, but many parents use these questions as a checklist to help them focus their search. Many of these questions you will be able to answer by reading the school’s prospectus and website. Others you will need to ask the schools directly.
Prep School (ages 8-13)
- Where is the school located? How far is this from airports? How will we get there?
- Is the school in a city, town, the heart of the country, UK or overseas?
- Does the school offer transport to and from school?
- Is this a standalone Prep school or is it connected with a Senior school?
- What is the size of the school? Is the school small (10-20 in a year group)? Or large (perhaps 60 plus in a year group)?
- What are the hours? How does the day work? Do you offer after and before school care?
- What are the fees?
- When was the school founded?
- Who owns the school? Is it a family business? A trust? Part of a larger group?
- How long has the Head been at the school? Do they plan to retire?